Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tex-Mex chicken and rice skillet

I love Pampered Chef®. Like, if I had a billion dollars, I would own every single item in their catalogs. I only recently discovered how awesome this stuff is. Someone has been withholding all of the good scoops on this stuff. Shame on you! I have several of their products, but mainly cookbooks. One thing I have noticed about their cookbooks is that the way the recipes are written, make it seem like if you don't own every pampered chef product, spice and napkin, then you can't make it. WRONG! Now I love their seasonings and rubs, but when I run out, what am I supposed to do? Wait a couple weeks for a new shipment to come? Not gonna happen. So in this recipe I will show you how I did some substitutes and it tasted just as delicious.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this meal take 28 minutes from start to finish?! Delicious and quick! And cheap! I'm a frugal momma nowadays. With a husband who eats like a grizzly bear and 2 kids who you have to cook 4732468723 different meals before finding the one that they like that day. Gotta shop smart right? Plus, living in Hawai'i, everything costs 20 times more than anywhere else. So being a smart shopper definitely helps this household. Well, I'm done rambling. Now on to the good stuff!

Tex-Mex chicken and rice skillet
1 tsp plus 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
1 can (11oz) Mexican-style corn
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp southwestern seasoning mix (I used 1Tbsp of taco seasoning!)
2 cups uncooked instant white rice (like Minute® rice)
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups salsa verde
2 Tbsp snipped, fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese

1. Add 1 tsp of the oil to skillet; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Meanwhile, drain corn; pat dry with paper towels. Ad corn to skillet in a single layer. Cook without stirring 5 minutes or until caramelized on one side. Remove from skillet; set aside.
This is what the cor should resemble. See those brown kernels? Mmmm.
2. As corn cooks, cut chicken into 1-in. pieces. Combine chicken and seasoning in a bowl. Add chicken to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet, set aside.
3. Add remaining 1Tbsp oil to skillet. Add rice, stir until well coated with oil. Add broth and salsa; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover skillet; reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, snip cilantro.
4. To serve, spoon chicken over rice mixture in skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and corn. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese it melted.
(i used 2 types of cheese because I like the combination, but feel free to use the Mexican mix cheese that is yellow)

Sprinkle with Cilantro and gobble gobble!

That simple, and that yummy. I got this from my "29 minutes to dinner" cookbook. Be prepared to see a few more (hundred) recipes from this book :)  Until next time, happy eatin'!



No comments:

Post a Comment