Sunday, October 9, 2011

Asian Persuasion

Before I got pregnant with my first baby I hated Chinese food. Or any type of Asian food for that matter. My mom would always want Chinese food buffets for dinner. I would eat salad and rice. How bland lol. But when I got pregnant with my princess, I ate it quite frequently. And I still do to this day. My daughters favorite thing is "Kung Fu Panda Chicken" (orange chicken from Panda express). I found an awesome restaurant out here in Hawai'i that I could eat at everyday. But since I'm not a millionaire, I opt to make my own take out (as Rachael Ray would say). So this dish is a bit of Asian Persuasion. It is Sesame Tilapia with Shiitake Broth. This was soooo good! I cheated a bit and got some fresh and some dried shiitake mushrooms. The fresh were $9.60 a lb!! The dried were like 2 bucks. I added extra mushrooms because this house loves them. To rehydrate the mushrooms, just soak them in warm water for about 30 minutes. The water actually turns into a good broth, but you don't have to keep it. OK, enough chat, on to the food!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 egg
2 boneless, skinless tilapia fillets (4 oz. each)
3 Tbsp Asian seasoning mix*
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Broth and rice:
1 small carrot
1 green onion with top
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms (I used more)
1 3-in piece fresh gingerroot, divided
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup hot cooked rice (I used Jasmine)

1. For tilapia, combine panko crumbs and sesame seeds in a small mixing bowl. Lightly beat egg in second bowl. Cut each fillet into 3 even pieces. Coat with seasoning mix. Dip into egg and then into panko mixture. Set aside.

2. For broth, peel carrot; cut into julienne strips. Thinly slice green onion on a bias. Slice mushrooms. Peel gingerroot; grate 1 tsp of the gingerroot. Cut remaining gingerroot into 1/4 in slices. Combine carrot, green onion, mushroom, grated and sliced gingerroot, broth and soy sauce in saucepan; bring to a boil.

3. As broth comes to a boil, add oil to skillet; heat over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Carefully arrange tilapia in skillet and cook 2-3 minutes or until browned. Turn tilapia over; cook 2-3 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork.

4. For each serving, pack rice in a small prep bowl and invert into bottom of serving bowl. Ladle broth and vegetables around rice; place tilapia over rice.

* Homemade Asian seasoning:
Makes about 1 cup
  • 1/4 cup onion powder
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp ground ginger
  • 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes




This is another 29 minute meal! eat up! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment