Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chicken adobo :)

I have always been the type to try and adapt to my surrounds. So, since I have been living in Hawaii for over 3 years I think it is safe to say that I am a Hawaiian gal trapped in another body. :) And that is a quote taken directly from my boss! Ha! I seriously love this culture and the food it has to offer. Most of it....I just can't get down with the SPAM. Recently I went to a luau for one of my students birthdays and they were serving pork adobo. I don't really eat too much pork but I tried it. YUM! I had tried chicken adobo before and I love the sweet and salty mix of it. So me being me, I googled it. I happened to find an authentic Hawaiian Governors family recipe or something crazy. So I decided to give it a shot. It seems like a long process, but it seriously requires little to no work. You make the marinade, marinate the meat for 3 hours and then simmer for 45 minutes. Easy peasy right? And it is soooooo good! So here goes nothing! My first recipe post! (Yay me!)

Chicken Adobo
3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 Tbsp pepprcorns
1 tsp brown sugar ( if you like it sweeter, go with 2-3 tsp.)
5 crushed garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
salt, to taste

Combine all ingredients excluding the chicken to create the marinade 

Marinate for 1-3 hours in same cooking pot

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes covered.
Uncover and continue simmering for 15-20 minutes until most of the juice has cooked out.

Serve with rice (and in my case, Hawaiian sweet rolls)

I like to take some of the drippings and pour it over the chicken and the rice. 
As they say in Hawaii, it is "Soooo ONO!"


Try this and let me know what you guys think! I want to make it again tomorrow lol. See you all on the flip side!






No comments:

Post a Comment